Northern France Tourism : official website

Beffroi

Belfry (BERGUES)

  • UNESCO World Heritage


Spoken languages : anglais, français


Nothing remains of the original 14th-century belfry, which was razed to the ground when the German army blasted it with dynamite in 1944. The bells fell down; however, they survived and were re-attached in 1938. Inaugurated in 1961, the new yellow-brick belfry is a faithful reconstruction of its predecessor. 47 metres tall, it has a magnificent bell chamber with a 50-bell carillon. Upon its pinnacle stands a wind-vane shaped as Nicholas, lion of the city's coat of arms.

Services

  • Shop