Northern France Tourism : official website


Belfry (CAMBRAI)

  • UNESCO World Heritage

Spoken languages : anglais

The belfry, or Tour Saint-Martin as it's otherwise known, was originally Gothic in style, but has undergone a great many modifications both in architecture and appearance since the 15th century. The four sculptures that adorn the top, created in 1924, represent characters that illustrate key moments in the history of Cambrai. On the ledge above is the town watchmen’s department, the "Gallus", which was in charge of ringing out the hours and announcing fires and other events. The belfry rises to 62 metres, and there, above the dome of the bell tower is a weather vane shaped like an 'oriflamme' (the battle standard of the King of France in Medieval times).