Northern France Tourism : official website

Beffroi de l'Hôtel de Ville

Belfry (COMINES)

  • UNESCO World Heritage


Spoken languages : anglais, français, néerlandais


The belfry, destroyed by the German army in 1918, was rebuilt to look almost identical by the famous architect, Louis-Marie Cordonnier. Modern techniques were used, replacing its old wooden framework with reinforced concrete. Its base is a heavy tower clad in a mix of brick and white stone, but what is really original about it is the huge dome sitting above the parapet. It's a surprising Baroque-style campanile composed of a slate-clad bulb 11 metres in height, with two wings on top. The highest one, smaller and slimmer, holds a weather vane. The belfry cannot be visited.

Services

  • Shop