Northern France Tourism : official website

Cambrai East Military Cemetery et Cimetière Militaire Allemand de la Route de Solesmes

Military cemetery (CAMBRAI)

For most of the Great War, from August 1914 to October 1918, the Germans occupied the town of Cambrai which they turned into a major command and logistics centre with a number of hospitals. In 1917 the Germans established on the road to Solesmes a cemetery for not only their own dead but also for those of their British and French enemies. Today that cemetery contains the graves of 10,685 German, 502 British and 169 Russian soldiers, the latter having fought alongside the French.