Northern France Tourism : official website

Château de L'Hermitage

Castle (CONDE-SUR-L'ESCAUT)


Spoken languages : anglais


  • Château de l'Hermitage
    489 route de Bonsecours
    59163 CONDE-SUR-L'ESCAUT

This sumptuous neoclassical residence, located on the Belgian border, was built between 1786 and 1789 for the Maréchal de Croy. It's a strange building, nicknamed "the castle of 200 windows" (actually, there are 236), square yet with rounded angles, without the slightest frill or decoration. The minimalism of the architecture is in stark contrast to the luxury and sophistication of the interiors: marble fireplaces, stone sculptures, floors of remarkable beauty decorating splendid, vast halls that open onto the outside of the castle and a central rotunda.