Situated in the Saint-Pierre district, the historical heart of Calais lace, the museum is housed in the former Boulart factory (1870), whose original structure has received an ambitious cast glass and silkscreen extension by the architects Alain Moatti and Henri Rivière. The collections are distributed into five galleries with a total surface are of 2500 m2, displaying the skills, techniques and traditions, as well as the more contemporary aspects of lace (fashion, design, applied arts). Haute couture dresses by the great designers, such as Poiret, Paquin, Dior, Givenchy and Chanel, are exhibited alongside lingerie items by Chantal Thomass, the museum's patron. The vast conservatory holds temporary exhibitions, while the auditorium hosts conferences and fashion shows. All through the year, there are workshops introducing people to lace techniques and fashion design. The document centre has a specialised library and a "tissuthèque" (fabric library). To dilly-dally a little longer, visit the shop and the restaurant.