Nord-Pas de Calais - Créateurs d'horizons

Hôtel de Ville et Beffroi d'Armentières

Building (ARMENTIERES)

  • UNESCO World Heritage


Spoken languages : anglais, néerlandais, espagnol, italien


Used extensively by the Commonwealth for stationing troops prior to the various Battles of Ypres, the Flanders town of Armentières was also the setting for the song 'Mademoiselle from Armentières'. Reduced to rubble during the German Spring Offensive in 1918, the town centre was redesigned after the Great War by the architect Louis-Marie Cordonnier. His regionalist ideas can be seen in many features of the town, notably the design of the bell tower which adheres faithfully to the style of the Flemish Renaissance.