Northern France Tourism : official website

La Chartreuse de Neuville

Monument (NEUVILLE-SOUS-MONTREUIL)


Spoken languages : anglais


Founded in the 14th century, the Chartreuse has been destroyed time and again throughout its history. It was in 1870, when Hesdins architect Clovis Normand rebuilt it to house a community of Carthusian monks, that the monastery took the shape you can still see today. The monks were thrown out in 1905, after the law separating church and state was passed. They escaped to England and found refuge in Parkminster where they still reside nowadays. The building was converted over and over again during the 20th century; it was first a public hospital, then a military one; it's been a summer camp and an artists' residence; and finally a hospice. The association in charge of the Chartreuse bases its many activities and projects around the values of dialogue, innovation and collective intelligence. The projects include artistic creation, the planning of cultural events, and opening the way to integration.

Services

  • Shop