Northern France Tourism : official website

Le Cateau Military Cemetery et Nécropole Militaire Allemande

Military cemetery (LE CATEAU-CAMBRESIS)

In August 1914 the Germans occupied the town of Le Cateau and remained there until October 1918. They opened a cemetery nearby to bury their soldiers who died in the field or in the hospitals set up in the town. British victims of the fighting in the summer of 1914 were initially buried in the town's graveyard but as space ran out they were later buried in the German cemetery. Today almost 700 white Commonwealth headstones can be seen standing alongside the black crosses of the 5,000 German graves.