Northern France Tourism : official website

Le Moulin de la Montagne

Mill (WATTEN)


This stone mill from 1731 was built with materials from the nearby former abbey of Watten. Built on the remains of a fortress, it was in operation until 1930, and lost its two vanes in 1937 during a storm. It was only much later, in 1985, that the country bought the mill to restore it and open it for the public. With a new roof and new machinery, the mill was put to work again, grinding grain just as it did before.