Northern France Tourism : official website

Monument aux Morts Allemand du Cimetière de Comines

Monument to the dead (COMINES)

Comines cemetery is home to a sturdy funerary monument bearing the Imperial Eagle, the last remaining trace of the German extension which, prior to 1956, contained 4,283 graves that are now in Saint-Laurent-Blangy. Occupied for four years during the Great War, the town of Comines served as a German rear base in Lys Valley for the many battles around Ypres. Totally destroyed in the fighting and evacuated in 1917, the town was rebuilt after the war and given a magnificent onion-domed bell-tower.