This monumental bronze statue standing in the park in front of the town hall was commissioned by the city of Calais in 1885 to Auguste Rodin. It commemorates the courage of six burghers who gave their lives in 1347. At the time, Calais was under siege by the English. The six burghers accepted the task of handing the keys of the city to Edward III in surrender, with nooses around their necks, ready to be hanged. Their sacrifice saved the people of the city. The queen, Philippine de Hainaut, admired their courage so much she asked her husband the king of England to spare them.