Housed in the former Carthusian convent since 1958, the museum is made up of several buildings: the hôtel d'Abancourt (1559) and the wing added by the Montmorency family (1608), with its high square tower. These two Flemish Renaissance-style brick and stone-faced façades are punctuated by mullioned windows with pediments on top. The convent was added on (1659), with a small cloister, a refectory, chapter house, large cloister and church. These new constructions were connected to the older buildings by the "logis des hôtes" (1690) whose fleur de lys tie bolts remind us that the town was under French rule when the convent was built. The museum contains more than 10,000 works, laid out in chronological order, showing the evolution of European art from the Middle Ages to the modern day. The tour, starting out with primitive paintings of Spanish, Italian, Flemish and Dutch origins, features sculptures by local artist Carpeaux, and ends with Buren's contemporary art installation: "La Cabane Rouge aux Miroirs".