Nord-Pas de Calais - Créateurs d'horizons

Musée des Beaux-Arts de Calais

Museum (CALAIS)

  • Inspected and accredited by the French museum department (Service des Musées de France)


Spoken languages : anglais


Opened in 1966, the museum was designed by architect Paul Pamart as part of the reconstruction work. It borders the Richelieu park in the historical centre of Calais. Renamed Musée des Beaux-Arts after the International Centre for Lace and Fashion opened on June 11, 2009, it contains the collections that escaped the fire of 1940 and a more recent collection divided into five sections: local history, painting, graphic arts, 19th- and 20th-century sculpture with an emphasis on Auguste Rodin, and contemporary, especially British, art. The Rodin room is devoted to the work of the famous sculptor, featuring the studies of his celebrated Burgers of Calais alongside pieces from the Rodin museum in Paris: studies of hands, faces sculpted in clay, etc... A room named "Alice, her looking glass and her wonderland" holds contemporary art, while art history and local history confront each other in another room, "Calais d'ici et d'ailleurs" (Calais from here and there).

Services

  • Audioguides
  • Shop