The museum is housed in the chapel of the Augustinian nuns, or "black sisters", built between 1751 and 1767. After the French Revolution, the chapel ceased to be a place of worship: it was used, instead, for purposes of anarchy, sometimes with devastating effects, until, in 1967, its top part was converted into a museum. It contains four different kinds of collections: An archeaological collection, with a backpack axe, scamasaxes, spearheads, belt buckles in damascened iron, brooches, ceramics, etc...; a religious collection with a statue of Saint John, sculpted stones and statues from the Chateau-Neuf and the church that was destroyed in 1944. The thrid collection contains paintings and lithographs that were donated by the Baron Alphonse de Rothschild in 1899, along with sculptures and ceramics. And lastly, the most recent collection, 'Arts and Popular Traditions', displays objects of local heritage from the 19th century and the early 20th century. The museum hosts between four and six contemporary art exhibitions per year.