Northern France Tourism : official website

Nécropole Militaire Allemande de Saint-Laurent-Blangy

Military cemetery (SAINT-LAURENT-BLANGY)

Saint-Laurent-Blangy was established in 1921 by the French as a concentration cemetery for the German soldiers who died in the southern area of the Arras Front. In 1926 the German war graves commission (VDK) carried our landscaping work in the cemetery to make it as natural as possible and in 1966 the original wooden crosses were replaced by metal ones. The cemetery contains the remains of 31,939 German soldiers who died in the Great War, of which 24,870 were laid to rest in a vast ossuary.