Northern France Tourism : official website

Statue Équestre du Field Marshal Douglas Haig

Statue (MONTREUIL)

The equestrian statue of Field Marshal Haig is one of the few reminders of the British presence in Montreuil during the Great War. It was here that Douglas Haig, Commander-in-chief of the British Army, installed his General Headquarters between 1916 and 1919. Montreuil suddenly became the British Army's centre of operations for the supply of troops, provisions and equipment from the French ports of Boulogne, Calais and Dunkirk to the nearby front in Flanders, Artois and Somme.